Subscribe to RSS

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Martinshöhe Photo Walk

During my Otterberg Adventure last week, I managed to snag some pic of J's girls helping to put away the silverware for the first time. Not to mention BOTH girls were wearing "two po-tails" that day. Definitely too cute to resist pulling out my camera.... plus I'm trying to work on photographing small children when they move SO fast! These images weren't perfect... but they're still fun!


So it's winter here in Deutschland. Which in case I haven't said it enough means the weather is über dreary. Grey skies, lots of fog, wet soak into your bones cold. I never used to think this bothered me, but after living here I learned it does take it's toll... even on someone like me who loves cloudy foggy days. So to combat living in the doldrums, D and I are trying to go adventuring as much as possible on the weekends we don't have plans. It gets us out of the house, and as long as we dress appropriately (and always bring an umbrella!) we're good to go. It seems like an added bonus that I can use these random trips to practice my photography. I have fallen in love made myself fall in love with the diffused cloudy light. There are no harsh shadows... NONE! As log as you're not taking pictures of the sky, it's not too bad. There's a side of me that's thrilled because it's super easy to think "Oh.... it's a gross day... no need to take out the camera, because the light will be crappy."  NOT TRUE! It fascinates me how light/tone changes with the seasons... and I take comfort in the winter light I've found to shoot in.

D and I decided to drive to Martinshöhe on a Saturday morning simply to get out of the house. It was pretty cold that day, so we bundled appropriately. We've taken the route to LARMC so many times and I always wonder where it will take us if we drive the other direction at the big turnoff. So on this day, we did. Such beautiful rolling hills and small little villages. (Like I could expect anything else here!) I am also amazed at how the rolling hills are still green. Germany never turns brown. EVER. When I go home to Texas I'm going to think our state is dying because it can get so brown. D was so patient with me as we walked and I took photos. He even pointed out some beautiful shots along the way. I was thrilled with all the results.

Tomorrow the Schneider's get here!!!!! We are so excited to welcome them to Germany!! Then starts the beginning of a seriously busy week. All good things to come though not to mention lots of photos! I wish everyone a great weekend! Miss and love you!

1 comment:

  1. First, I love that my girls have their own tag on your blog :o) Second, I think you just inspired me to bundle them up for a photo walk today or tomorrow. You're so right about "as long as you bundle up you'll be fine" (way to channel your inner German!) and your pics turned out so great... I want to go get some of my own! XOXO

    ReplyDelete